About NMRA 2017 Orlando - Where We'll Make Model Railroading Magical
This NMRA Convention is designed just for you. Huh? You're probably scratching your head and thinking "Just for me? Who are they kidding?"
Well, no one. Really. This convention is designed for model railroades of all ages, all family types, model railroaders who come to the convention by themselves or model railroaders who come with a group of friend from a model railroad club. If you're our loyal, every year convention attendee or someone who has always thought about attending an NMRA convention but your family vacation always comes first, this convention is for you.
For the Model Railroader
- Nearly 200 Clinics - Sessions for every skill level and modeling interest. Expect everything from what you need to get started to advanced scratch building techniques, DCC, scenery, layout design, laying track, tuning rolling stock, building kits, weathering, applying decals. You name it, we’ll have it.
- Dozens of Layouts for Your Viewing - With the great influx of people into Florida from elsewhere you will find model railroads that represent railroading around the US. Railroads available represent east to west north to south. Union Pacific, CSX, Seaboard, Atlantic Coast Line, Florida East Coast, Southern Pacific, Pennsylvania, Sante Fe, New York Central, Reading, BNSF, Rio Grande and many more prototype based and freelance layouts. Layouts from steam through transition to modern. Layouts in N, HO, S and O Scales. We’ll even toss in some outstanding Live Steam layouts, beautiful garden layouts and class toy train displays.
- A Wide Range of Prototype Facilities -From traditional classification yards to intermodal facilities, to some unique railroading available in the US. How about visiting a 26 mile short line which has been an integral part of the US Space Program, the NASA Railroad? What about seeing how the largest city on wheels is built and maintained, the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus Train?
- Excursion Rides - Take a trip on the Florida Railroad Museum. That’s right, the museum is the train. Or how about a ride on the Orange Blossom Cannonball with it’s operating steam locomotive.
- Disney’s Railroad - Join fellow model railroaders for Disney’s The Magic of our Steam Trains Tour.
For You and Your Non Rail Spouse
- More Than 5,000 Restaurants - Everything from fast food to exquisite upscale gourmet by notable chefs such as Emeril Lagassee, Cat Cora, Todd English and Wolfgang Puck.
- World Class Shopping - Enough to fill 600 football fields.
- Relax At a Spa For a Few Hours - There are more than 1,000 spas in Central Florida offering traditional spa treatments and some exotic ones too!
- Entertainment - How about an evening at Cirque de Soleil with dinner next door at House of Blues? Or perhaps dinner in EPCOT and watching Disney’s dazzling Illuminations, Fireworks, Pyrotechnic, Laser and Water Spectacular.
- For the Kid in Both of you - Visit one of the eight theme parks in Orlando.
- For the Adventurous Couple in You - Take one of Central Florida’s outdoor experiences.
- Fine Art - Visit one of Orlando’s many fine art museums.
- Botanical Gardens - Visit the beautiful Leu Gardens, an amazing 50-acre botanical oasis minutes from downtown Orlando.
For You and Your Family
- Eight Theme Parks - Guaranteed to delight and thrill the entire family.
- Four Major Water Parks - Cool off and have fun with the best water parks in the world.
- Entertainment - How about Disney’s Hoop De Doo Review Dinner Show or Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament where you enjoy a bountiful feast served in medieval style while witnessing the knights of the realm compete for the maiden’s hand.
- Miniature Golf - There are dozens of miniature golf courses in Orlando.
- Great Attractions - Visit places like Ripley’s Believe It or Not, Wonderworks, attractions that entertain and educate.
- Education - Sneak in some learning for the kids, how about a day trip to the Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex and discover the US Space Program.
- Experience Nature - Gatorland provides affordable family fun showcasing thousands of alligators and crocodiles, a free-flight aviary, a petting zoo and one of a kind animal shows.
For You and Your Model Railroad Buddies
- How About a Great Steak Dinner - Try out Shulas, Ruth’s Chris, Mortons, Capital Grille, The Palm, Flemings or Charlie’s.
- Minor League Baseball - Catch some minor league baseball action at Disney’s Wide World of Sports.
- PGA Quality Golf - Try the links at Disney’s Lake Buena Vista Course, or Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill Club or one of the many other courses in Central Florida.
- Entertaining Dining Experiences - What about Sleuths Murder Mystery Dinner Show?
- Hobby Shops - Be sure to bring your wallet since many layout tours will include stops at local model railroad shops.